Recycling ewaste is gaining popularity globally because of growth in usage of electronic products. E-wastes are electronic or electric equipments that have already been discarded .This mean all equipments that are powered by electric sources (from a battery any power socket).
Common types of electronics wastes include;
· * Information technology equipments such as laptops, desktops, mobile phones, tablet computers, mobile phone and computer batteries, accessories and peripherals like modems, keyboards, computer mice, monitors, hard disk drives, docking stations, battery chargers, printed circuit boards etc
· * Home appliances like fridges, TVs, washing machines, air conditioners, rice cookers, toaster and microwave ovens, food processors, electric kettles, electric fans, blenders, radios, DVD and video players, vacuum cleaners, hi-fis etc
· * Other types of electronic wastes include electronic toys, lamps and lighting, leisure and sports equipments etc.
Electronic waste is mostly made up of plastic and metal components but may also contain pigments of heavy metals. Generalizing material contents of electronic wastes has never been an easy task. For instance, air conditioners and fridges may contain particular refrigerants that facilitate cooling, but the same refrigerants may contribute to the depletion of ozone layer. Anytime you donate your electronic products for reuse, you extend their lifespan. It’s important to recycle electronic products since this process is helpful in assisting valuable materials from going to waste. Currently, consumers have a variety of options to recycle and reuse their electronics. Many cell phone, TV, and computer manufacturers offer several sponsor recycling events and take back programs.
It’s unfortunate that not all electronic recyclers follow sound recycling practices. Electronic equipments contain different materials, recycling therefore requires highly sophisticated sorting and separation technologies. the recovery of metals that are special , plastics and other metal types make e-waste recycling even more profitable. Electronic recycling is important in the following ways;
1. 1. Recycling ewaste protects environmental and human health. Improper disposal of electronic wastes lead to environmental pollution; this harms human health in the long run. The perfect way of treating electronic waste is by doing proper recycling. E-waste contains several components; this means that specialized equipments are required in dismantling, shredding and extraction of constituent materials that are later turned into new usable products. This is always done within a system that is controlled so that pollution can be prevented and that health and safety can be guaranteed at workplace.
2. 2. Recycling ewaste also helps in conservation of the precious natural resources on earth. When new products are made from recycled materials, this reduces the necessity of mining virgin raw materials from earth. Virgin raw materials are always limited in supply. Reducing mining also ensures that pollution is minimized. mining will always have an impact on the environment.